García Marchiñena P, Romeo A, Martínez P, et al.
To describe the characteristics, forms of presentation and therapeutic management in transplanted patients treated for renal tumor in our hospital.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
We conducted a retrospective analysis of 10 patients who underwent renal transplantation and developed a renal tumor between January 2010 and June 2014. The collection of data was carried through history electronic medical records of our hospital (Intranet).
During the study period, 796 patients were treated for a kidney tumor in our hospital; 10 of these cases occurred in renal transplant patients. 90% were men. Average age was 40 years. Average time kidney transplantation/tumor was 14 years. 80% of the tumors were incidental. 90% had localized disease. Half of the patients (n=5) included in this series had one or more tumors in the native kidneys, while the other 50% had a tumor in the graft. All patients (n=5) with native kidney tumor underwent laparoscopic radical nephrectomy. Graft tumor: renal explant (n=1), partial nephrectomy conventional route (n=3) and active surveillance (n=1). 46% (n=6) of the tumors corresponded to clear cell renal carcinoma variety. The other 7 (54%) tumors corresponded to papillary variety. The average follow-up of patients was 14.7 months. Surgical patients (n=9) underwent 88.8% (n=8) developed favorably.
Renal tumors in transplant patients are characterized by incidental diagnosis and a higher proportion of papillary types. The treatments for these patients are similar to the general population.